Hey there! Vincent here.
I have never blogged before, so please excuse me for my lack of knowledge on the nature of blogs and their relationship with news. Really, all I can give you is my perspective and not something completely accurate.
I have never blogged before, so please excuse me for my lack of knowledge on the nature of blogs and their relationship with news. Really, all I can give you is my perspective and not something completely accurate.
“Do you agree with Andrew Ferguson that
blogs are self-perpetuating, parasitic news organisms? Explain"
Are blogs self-perpetuating?
They certainly seem to be! The
blogosphere seems to be a place where people commentate on news that they hear
about through the grapevine. The grapevine most probably includes other blogs
as well as other sources of news. Blogs blog about other blogs.
Are blogs parasitic?
Hmmm… according to Google, a parasite
is: “an organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits
by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.” I’m thinking that blogs obtain
their information from more official news sources, and when they become popular
enough, they may draw viewers away from those news sources…. So in that sense,
perhaps they are parasitic.
Are they news organisms?
Some blogs’ main functions are to
spread news. So I would say yea, they are news organisms.
So, to answer the question, I would
have to say that I agree with Ferguson that blogs are self perpetuating,
parasitic news organisms. (I don’t necessarily think of them as negative
though!)
No comments:
Post a Comment